How To Beat The Post-Super Bowl Blues
The Football Gods have spoken. After a year where the pigskin was almost never thrown, the Lombardi has once again been raised, signifying the end of the 2011-12 NFL season. There were a lot of ups and downs this year, but I think we can all agree that the Super Bowl completely kicked ass. Brady has once again gone home with nothing to show at the hands of Eli and the Giants. But now that it’s all over, what is there left to live for? Yes, you may go into withdrawal over the next few days, but below are a few things you can start doing immediately to start enjoying life beyond football.
1. Start By Hoisting Your Ass Off The Couch
Chances are the butt imprint you started leaving in your couch has grown over the course of the season. Don’t feel bad, that’s bound to happen. Excess snacking, tons of beer and general lack of movement, save the occasional victory dance, will do that to a man. Well, the season is over now dammit, so get up and get out. No garbage excuses either. If you can spend 4-12 hours a week watching football, you can spend at least half that working out. Here are a few friendly tips to help you turn that newly formed off-season keg back into a much more desirable six-pack:
- Renew your gym membership – pump iron and do some cardio to burn off weight and build muscle the fastest
- When going somewhere, try to give yourself enough time to walk instead of drive (if it’s not too far) and take the stairs
- Play a rec sport – instead of watching your team kick ass, go out and kick ass yourself
Yeah, we’re all bummed that we have to wait another 6 months for the first pre-season game too, but exercise will help reduce your depression symptoms so get out there and start moving again.
2. There’s More Out There Than Football
Remember all the cool things you used to do in your spare time before last season started? Well, now that you’ve cut the umbilical cord between you and your flat screen, you can start living again.
- Learn to play guitar. Imagine if you spent as much time playing as you did watching football? You’d probably be the next Hendrix.
- Go shoot some guns. Honestly, nothing feels manlier that firing off a few rounds into an inanimate target.
- Try something extreme you’ve never had the balls to try before. Hang gliding, surfing, MMA… things like that. You’ve never too old to do something that could kill you.
And football doesn’t need to be completely removed from your life. Call up a few of your buddies and go have an outdoor pick-up game. This will give you a chance to show off a few of you Adrian Foster-style juke-n-jive type manoeuvres you’ve picked up over the season.
3. Check Out Other ‘Fantasy’ Options
Girls. We’re talking about girls. They still exist you know… and were not just talking about the Cowboys cheerleaders either. It’s time to stop staring at men in tight tights weekend after weekend and start looking at something a little curvier. Be it at a bar, the gym or even a grocery store, unless you already have a long-term lady, get back out there. We could write hundreds of pages on how to meet women, but we don’t have time for that, so here are a few things you can do.
Baby steps. We’re not asking you to go crazy here, just enjoy your newfound free time. Share this article with your friends/followers and let them know how you plan to spend your off-season. And we promise, before you know it, your team will be back on the field… and it’ll be anyone’s game all over again.
About the author
A man known for his enormous strength, constant beard growth, and an undying love for sports, Nick Leonardi is an interactive copywriter with a wide variety of media experience. From agency work to social campaigns, Nick has seen and done it all.